Monday, August 21, 2006

Just Inside the Safe Side of Physics


Yesterday, Matt Kenseth wins his third race of the 2006 Nextel Cup season and solidifies his position as 2nd in the points standings. With three races left to qualify to compete for the season title, a second championship is very much in achievable reach. After the race, the Cambridge, Wisconsin native explains how he achieved the win at the end.

Winning team interview: I just drove it right on the edge of the right-front. I was loose off a little bit when I was on the right-rear, but I just made sure I didn't drive in too hard and skid the right-front so I had something for the end.

In other words, Matt repeatedly takes 3,400 pounds of automobile running at slightly over 200 miles an hour into a turn with enough precision that the centrifugal force is focused on the right front tire, to the point where only the edge of the tire makes contact with the pavement, and short of the point where that last edge of contact slides across the surface. Every one of us can turn a car but very few of us can balance that turn just slightly inside the safe side of physics.

There is a lot being written about the lack of American “will” to succeed but I don’t believe courage and ability has withered away from the American character. I just think it has not been sufficiently required … yet.