Tuesday, March 14, 2006

The Adventure of Travel


Four hours behind schedule the United flight descends slowly in the darkness over Chicago, and from the airline window I see a brightly lit large building surrounded by absolute blackness. My God I think, this must be a Wal-Mart that has killed off the adjacent small business, followed then by the realization that fatigue has sapped my reasoning to the point where I am susceptible to leftist delusions.

The exhausted gate attendants say the last flight to Madison may or may not leave at midnight, so Lola and I pay cash for Van Galder to bus us to the Dane County Regional Airport to retrieve the car. Three hours later we poke into a nearly deserted airport and discover our luggage has arrived a full 20 minutes before us. Shortly after 2 AM we reach home satiated with the adventure of travel.