Monday, July 18, 2005

Monday Night Reality TV


Clicking around the cable channels this evening I briefly stop on live action coverage of the City of Madison Plan Commission meeting. My favorite Green Party Alderperson Brenda Konkel is talking and I briefly wonder if product placement money is the reason for the prominently displayed Diet Coke beside her microphone. You go girl. Drop a few pounds, and I say that as someone who could also stand an inch off the midriff.

As reality TV goes this is pretty lame entertainment but it is reality in real time. I don’t know if it is committee member “Adult City Resident 1” or “Adult City Resident 3”, but one guy keeps trying to say methodological and Designee Chairperson Nancy E. Fey visibly suppresses laughter every time he tries using the great big adult word. After another person strings together thirty words in a row without getting to a point, I flick the clicker for more promising programming.

There are people who love the actual political process, the players in the game and the tangled story lines of the personal soap operas. At the risk of sounding like a shill for Dennis York, I recommend reading his recent post where he ranks Wisconsin Democrats on honesty, integrity and reasonableness. Mayor Dave Cieslewicz doesn’t merit mention and I don’t know if it’s because he is not high enough on the depth chart, or if his ambition ends at the city limits. Make sure to pick your #1 before reading the results.
The Five Best Democrats in Wisconsin : “I have taken it upon myself to engage in an unpleasant mental exercise – picking the best Democrats in Wisconsin. For the time being, I will ignore Ann Coulter's admonition that "there are some bad Republicans, but there are no good Democrats," and pick people who I believe most effectively carry the message of the Democratic Party.”
Meanwhile elsewhere in the real world, Bernie Williams drops a routine fly ball; two Texas runs score and the NY Yankee’s still suck.