Friday, February 11, 2005

The Freedom to Say No Without Benefit

There was a letter for me in the mail today. “Thanks for insuring your home with American Family. The enclosed Wisconsin amendatory endorsement, which excludes property coverage for fungi, wet or dry rot or bacteria, will be applied to your policy on your next renewal date… Your premium will not be affected.” Wait a minute. I think this really means less benefit for the same amount of dollars. Am I supposed to be happy with this change in our agreement?

The letter goes on to explain: “If the endorsement is not acceptable to you, Wisconsin state law allows you to cancel your policy”. In other words, I can say “no” to the change but I forfeit claim to the any of the benefits. That is the beauty of freedom which is best defined as the ability of the individual to say “no” without punishment. It is important to understand that not receiving what you don’t pay for is not punishment. Using force to take my money, possessions, time or mobility is punishment, and in America no private business can do that to an individual. The right of punishment people is reserved for the government and if I decide to I am completely free to say no to my insurance company.